Resource Detailed View
The Inner Coma Environment Simulation tools (ICES) is a tool developed by ISSI comet modeling team and by ESA/Rosetta mission team. The original intent was provide the comet community with access to results from a comprehensive set of models of the cometary coma ranging from the surface out to the interaction with the solar wind and covering dust, gas and plasma phases. The tool has been expanded to include nucleus models.
The initial target comet is 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko with specific application to the Rosetta mission.
The main goal is that the tool will be useful for mission and science planning as well as for data interpretation.
The ICES tool does not run the individual models, but rather extracts data from data files provided with the tool. Currently the following models are available:
- ICES_c (Inner Coma Environment Simulator): user interface and tool
- DSMC ( Direct Simulation Monte Carlo): Dust and neutral gas
- ELEC (Electron): Field aligned electrons
- HYB (Hybrid): Plasma - kinetic ions, fluid electrons
- MHD ( Magnetohydrodynamics): Plasma - single fluid
- ICES_n (Inner Coma Environment Simulator): User interface and tool+
- K3D (Nucleus Evolution Model): Coma Sources, Surface and Subsurface